What is a Digital Wallet?
A digital wallet is a new way to pay! By using an app on your smartphone or smartwatch, you can instantly make purchases at compatible check-outs. Blackhawk Bank supports the following digital wallet providers:
- Apple Pay
- Samsung Pay
- Google Pay
Why would I want to add my Blackhawk Bank debit card to a digital wallet?
- It’s more secure!
- Digital wallets allow you to make secure payments without exposing your debit card number to fraudsters.
- Merchants never receive your card number. When you add your Blackhawk Bank debit card number to a digital wallet, it will be converted to a virtual account number. Your digital wallet will use this virtual account number when you make purchases.
- It’s easy! No need to dig through your wallet or purse to find your card. Simply use your phone to make your payments at merchants that accept digital wallet payments – in store, in app and online.
- It’s fun to use new technology like digital wallets!
Which Blackhawk Bank debit cards can I use for digital payments?
All Blackhawk Bank debit cards, including HSA cards, are eligible for digital payments. ATM only cards are not.
How do I add my Blackhawk Bank debit card to a digital wallet?
- Many smart phones come with the app already installed. For example, new iPhones have the “Wallet” app pre-installed.
- You may also load the apps from app stores.
- If you wish to use Masterpass on your computer, you can sign up at www.masterpass.com
Is there anything that I should do to protect my digital wallet(s)?
YES! Adding Touch ID, facial recognition, a password or a passcode to access your device is a recommended layer of protection. What you can add is based on the type of device that you have.
A few more tips…
- Make sure to select secure device passcodes that only you will know. Don’t use a common sequence of numbers like 123456.
- Don’t enroll another person’s biometric into your mobile device; doing so may allow that individual to perform a fully-verified transaction.
- Don’t ‘jailbreak’ or ‘root’ your mobile device since this may make your device more vulnerable to attack and fraud.
- Be aware of your surroundings when entering your passcode into your device to make sure you’re not being observed.
Will the card image in my digital wallet match my physical card?
No, the image you will see is a red card - not what our HSA or instant issue debit cards look like. It will not affect how the cards work when making digital wallet purchases.
What should I do if I get a replacement card with the same card number?
It’s likely that the expiration date and security code on the back of the card has changed. When you activate your replacement card, make sure that you update the expiration date and/or security code in your digital wallet.
What should I do if I get a replacement card with a different card number?
You’ll need to add the new card to and delete the old card from your digital wallets.
What should I do if my device is lost or stolen?
- Call a Client Services Specialist during normal business hours at 866.771.8924 so they can deactivate that card from your digital wallet.
- You can continue to use your plastic card as you have in the past; no need to replace the card.
- When you get your new device, add your Blackhawk Bank debit card to the digital wallet apps of your choosing.
What should I do if my physical Blackhawk Bank debit card is lost or stolen?
Deactivate your card using one of the following methods:
- Login to your NetTeller account > select Options > select ATM/Debit Card > check the Lost/Stolen box for the card that has been lost or stolen;
- Use your Blackhawk Bank app > go to Preferences > Manage Cards > Suspend the lost or stolen card;
- During normal business hours call a Client Services Specialist at 866.771.8924; or
- After normal business hours, call 866.546.8273 for assistance deactivating your card. This is not a number for other banking assistance.
- Delete this card from your digital wallet. Once you receive your replacement card, you can add it to your digital wallet.
If I sell or give my device to someone else, what will happen to the digital account information in the device?
When selling or giving away your device, you should make sure to delete all accounts stored in your digital wallets. If you forget to do this, call a Client Services Specialist at 866.771.8924 and they will be able to do this for you.
Alternatively, you may reset your phone to factory settings, which will also remove all digital accounts.
Why am I being asked to call Blackhawk Bank when I’m adding my debit card to a digital wallet?
We may require extra authentication of your personal information during the registration process. Our Client Services Specialists will be able to complete your authentication and will send you a one-time passcode to complete the registration process.
For additional information about our digital wallet providers, including supported devices and a list of merchants that accept payment through a digital wallet, please visit:
I set up my card in the MyCardRules app and received an alert when I added my card to a digital wallet (like Apple Pay.) Should I be concerned, and is this a valid transaction?
If you have MyCardRules set up to alert you for all transactions, you will receive an alert when adding your card to a digital wallet. The wallet provider (for example Apple Pay) is reaching out to the Bank to verify the validity of the card. There’s no cause for concern for this type of alert.
Why won’t my phone take a picture of my card when I’m adding it to a digital wallet?
The photo option works best when cards are embossed (the numbers are raised). Many of our cards are not embossed and the information is just printed on the card so the photo option may not work. You can manually enter your information to add your card to the wallet that you have chosen.
Apple, iPhone and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Apple Pay, Apple Watch and iCloud are trademarks for Apple Inc.
Google Pay and Google Play are trademarks of Google Inc.
Samsung and Samsung Pay are registered trademarks of Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
Mastercard and Masterpass are registered trademarks of Mastercard International Incorporated.